The news out of Lansing continues to be that legislators are looking to balance the state's budget on the BACKS OF TEACHERS. This includes future payments of 3% per year for all teachers who don't retire, except those in MIP-Plus. Other requriements for pay cuts and cuts of dental and vision insurance co-pays could be passed soon! There is word that this legislation could come forward for a vote as soon as MARCH 25th!
Please write your Legislators today! or THURSDAY!!!! or FRIDAY!!!!!
Just copy and paste the information in BLACK below and then, pick a legislator to send it to from the list below my suggested message. OR, send it to ALL the legislators listed!
· STOP the constant attacks on school employees’ pay, pension and health benefits! It should NOT and can NOT provide a solution to the budget crisis. These are merely band-aids for our state’s financial problems.
· School employees have led by example, making almost $1 billion in salary and benefit concessions during the past three years.
· Most school employees already pay out of pocket for health insurance and retirement – and those that don’t have made salary concessions instead.
· The average Michigan teacher spends $500 or more out of pocket on basic classroom supplies.
· Legislators must focus on long-term, balanced solutions to Michigan’s antiquated tax structure and broken school funding system that will provide adequate, equitable and stable funding for public education.
· Close tax loopholes and end ineffective tax incentives.
· Audit government contracts for efficiency.
· Expand the sales tax to include some services and luxury items.
· Enact a graduated income tax that would be a tax cut for 90 percent of Michigan families.
Write or Call -
Governor Jennifer Granholm
517-373-3400 Phone 517-335-6863 Fax
to write Gov. Granholm, please go to the Michigan.gov website
Speaker of the House Andy Dillon
Senate Majority Leader Mike Bishop
State Senator Nancy Cassis
State Senator Gilda Jacobs
Fax: 517-373- 2983
State Representative Vicki Barnett
State Representative Lisa Brown
State Representative Hugh Crawford
State Representative Eileen Kowall